Using Yoga Straps: is it for you?
Both beginners and advanced yogis can benefit from the use of yoga straps, that are designed to help make adjustments to your poses.
These straps can greatly improve your practice while practicing Yoga by making various movements more comfortable.
A Yoga strap can be used by both beginners and advanced yoga practitioners to give you more length, reach and space.
The strap also helps to make you more comfortable and serve as an adjustment tool for certain postures.
In this video, yoga instructor Gen Larocque, shows us some poses where Yoga straps can come in handy.
What are the Benefits of Yoga Straps?
1. Yoga straps let you to hold your limbs that you might not be able to reach or grasp in a pose.
2. With it, you can hold a pose longer.
3. Yoga Straps are especially helpful in bound poses when your hands cannot reach the other as also in poses in which you have to hold your feet can’t reach.
4. It can be used to hold your legs in a Trikonasana, stretch your shoulder in the Sarvangasana
5. It helps you with overall flexibility by assisting you strengthening your body and spine in every direction.
Sample exercises with a Yoga Strap:
1. Extend your limbs: Trying to reach for your foot with your hands from standing: Wrap the strap around your foot and hold on tight. This way you’ll get a feel for the pose and focus on the version that suits your body.
2. Twist deep: In any reclining spinal twist, the strap can make a huge difference. Wrap the strap around your foot, hold one end of the strap with each hand, and enjoy the lower back release.
Begin to bind: If you can’t fully lock yourself into a bind, grab a strap for help. Instead of overextending your body or pulling a muscle that will force you off your mat, a strap will help you open up. They’re absolutely wonderful for big shoulder openers like Cow Face Pose or Intense Side Stretch.
How do you use a yoga strap in class?